Sunday, August 11, 2013

Homemade Baked French Fries


served simply, with some ketchup

I love making my own french fires. I cook them in the oven with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt. Simple and delicious.

I'm not too picky about the type of potato, I just slice them - skin on - into thin sticks and pour over some olive oil (a few tablespoons, but enough to fully coat them and leave a little on the pan bottom) and some balsamic vinegar (about 2 teaspoons or to taste). Toss the fries - I just use my hands - then spread out on a sheet pan into a single layer, or as close to that as you can. Depending on how many potatoes you used you may need to use a second sheet pan - they will come out much better if they are not crowded. Finally, sprinkle some sea salt over the potatoes before you put them in the oven.

Bake in a 450-475 degree preheated oven. Check them after about 15 minutes or so; use tongs to flip them if you need to. Keep cooking until they are golden brown or you just can't wait any longer.

The olive oil helps them to get really crispy and crunchy on the outside and the balsamic vinegar caramelizes a bit and gives the french fries a lovely flavor. Serve with ketchup. YUM!

baked in a single(ish) layer on a sheet pan

a delicious close up!


Bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment