Thursday, July 4, 2013

Christmas cookies 2012

Very late in getting these posted, but here are the Christmas cookies I made for my co-workers and neighbors last Christmas. The recipe is from Cookie Craft: From Baking to Luster Dust, Designs and Techniques for Creative Cookie Occasions by Janice Fryer and Valerie Peterson.

I absolutely love, love, love this book. If I had to choose, I think I like the nutty cookie recipe best, but the plain/lemon is great too. The cookie dough recipes are incredibly easy to make and makes a good number of cookies. No chilling of the dough is required before you roll out the dough and they bake up beautifully. Seriously, rolled cookies with no chilling of the dough - can't get much better than that! They keep their shape so you can use really detailed cutters and the cookies themselves taste delicious. I hate when baked goods are gorgeous but taste like cardboard or weird, artificial flavors or textures.

I don't think I'll ever make cookies as intricately decorated as the ones in the book - I'm more of a pipe on some icing and then cover with shiny sugar sprinkles kind of gal - but they provide lots of inspiration and motivation...and the photos are wonderful to look at. Here are my photos from last Christmas. I've always been obsessed with cute wrapping paper and ribbon, so I love to package up baked goods in cute or funky boxes, bags, or food-safe wrapping paper. You can see some adorably-packaged baked goods here that my sister and I made to donate to a bakesale for Japan to raise money after the Tsunami. For these cookies, I bought some small gift bags when I gave them to my co-workers and neighbors. They got rave reviews!

You can see more pictures and a longer post here (with step-by-step photos) from Christmas 2011 when everything I gave was homemade. I made these cookies, homemade vanilla, lavender eye pillows, and body butters and scrubs. It was so much fun making and packaging everything with cute jars and labels...not to mention gifting all of the various homemade items!

a plate of snowmen cookies

Christmas trees

a tray of raindeer



all bagged up and ready to gift!


Bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment