Friday, May 10, 2013

Garlicy Swiss Chard

My multi-talented sister-in-law recently made a delicious dish of sauteed greens with garlic. I haven't been able to recreate it perfectly, but here is my version which has quickly become a favorite. It's fast, easy, and healthy...and garlicy. I love garlic!

I've used green Swiss chard here, but kale is also great, as is red Swiss chard. I have also started using some frozen chopped (mixed) greens to fill out the pan since the fresh greens cook down so much. I've found that the frozen greens won't let off too much water if I microwave them first until thawed (about 1 minute 30).

For this recipe I used 1 bunch of fresh Swiss chard, 1/2 a bag of frozen chopped greens, 2 heads of garlic, olive oil (a few tablespoons, to coat the bottom of the pan), sea salt, and about 1-2 T. soy sauce. (Add less salt if you use more soy sauce.) A little hint to remove the garlic smell from your hands is to rub them on stainless steel. I'll wash them with a little soap and then rub my soapy hands over the neck of the kitchen sink faucet...rinse and bye-bye garlic smell...works every time.

Heat the olive oil over med-low heat and add the chopped garlic and salt. Cook the garlic (until it just starts to turn golden) while you chop the greens. Add the greens, cover, cook. Add the soy sauce, stir, and cook until the liquid evaporates...and, done! Serve with rice, as a side dish, or just enjoy on its own.

everything you need for a quick meal

peel the garlic quickly by giving each clove a smash with the flat side of your knife
the papery bit should come off easily

give the garlic a rough chop...I like larger pieces which will get really sweet as they cook

saute the garlic over medium-low heat (so it doesn't burn), sprinkle on a little salt,
and chop up the greens while the garlic cooks

I cut off the ends and then slice the leaves and stems down the middle the long way

then stack the two halves and slice the long way again

then slice crosswise into a sort of large julienne

voila!

add the fresh greens and thawed frozen greens to the garlic and give it a good stir
cover and let cook down

add a tablespoon or so of soy sauce and stir

done and delicious...where is my fork?


Bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment